VEGAN MAC AND CHEESE
⇒ Is tossed in a quick & easy cashew “cheese” sauce and is as fast to prepare as the boxed version.
PREP TIME – 20 minutes
COOK TIME – 20 minutes
TOTAL TIME – 40 minutes
SERVINGS – 8
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked in water for 2 hours, if desired)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 cup water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 clove garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
- pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard (dijon or yellow)
- 16 ounces elbow or shell pasta of choice (gluten-free, if needed)
- freshly ground black pepper
- paprika , for garnish
1) Prepare the pasta according to package directions. Drain the cashews if you soaked them. (This makes them easier to blend.)
2) While the pasta is cooking, combine the cashews, lemon juice, water, salt, nutritional yeast, chili powder, garlic, turmeric, cayenne (if using), and mustard in a high-speed blender and blend until silky smooth. If the mixture is too thick, add 2-4 more tablespoons of water and blend again.
3) Once the pasta is tender, drain and rinse it, then return the pasta to the pot and stir in the cheese sauce. Season to taste and serve warm!
Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 449mg | Potassium: 313mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 35IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 21mg | Iron: 2.5mg