Dried fruit is fruit that has almost all of the water content removed through drying methods.
The fruit shrinks during this process, leaving a small, energy-dense dried fruit. Raisins are the most common type, followed by dates, prunes, figs, and apricots. Other varieties of dried fruit are also available, sometimes in candied form (sugar coated). These include mangoes, pineapples, cranberries, bananas, and apples. Dried fruit can be preserved for much longer than fresh fruit and can be a handy snack, particularly on long trips where refrigeration is not available. But do you know how to pick a right dried fruit especially Dried Apricot? Most of the dried fruit is usually treated with SO2 (Sulfur Dioxide) but to make it easier and relevant in comparison let’s go through with 1 of the common dried fruit where you can get in Malaysia market… Dried Apricot!
How To Determine Sulphureted Apricot
Sulphureted Dried Apricots are treated with SO2 (Sulfur Dioxide) which is a type of chemical gas induced in order to provide color retention and longer shelf life. Dried Apricot that treated with SO2 will changes from light yellow to orange to make it more appeal to the consumer. While Natural (Unsulphureted) Apricot differs from sulphureted apricot in color is that they change from light brown to dark brown.
The process from Fresh Apricot to Dried Apricot
- Harvest: Harvest time usually depends on the type of apricots and the degree of maturity base on whether they are soft enough, getting sweet or juicy enough. Harvesting is also best to made by hand so that the fruits will have minimal damage or by shanking and flapping apricot tree.
- Drying: Apricot is dried by using 2 methods and Sulphureted Dry is the most conventional drying method because it can achieve desired dried texture in a short period of drying processing time. At the same time preserving the original color of fresh apricot and increase preservation period. While for Natural Drying, it usually performed under day dried in the control and hygiene safe condition, therefore, it will take longer time for the drying process and of course slightly expensive than Sulphureted Dry, but it’s a lot tasteful, concentrate and chemical free!
Suggested Ways of Usage
- Consume directly as a healthy snack
- Use it as bakery ingredient
- For homemade confectionery goods > Always go for handmade because of a lot healthy!
- For homemade compote goods > Always go for handmade because of a lot healthy!
If you are looking for Natural / Unsulphureted Dried Apricot, you can always get them here! (link to our product)
#LoveLife #LoveEarth #LoveOrganic #HealthyLifestyle #Affordable #Reliable #DriedApricot #Unsulphureted