5 Quick & Healthy Food for Babies:
Making our own baby foods are definitely easy, faster and save money.
And when you know what you are feeding to your baby, it is considered more nutritious and safer than buying from the stores.
But first and foremost, make sure your baby is ready for solid foods!
According to Malaysia’s standard, babies are recommended to take solid food only after 6 months.
Please beware of common allergens foods like eggs, milk, wheat, soy, tree nuts, fish and shellfish. Honey should also be avoided in the first year as it might cause botulism.
Gas inducing food are recommended only to babies above 10 months. Including beans, broccoli, onions, fruit juice, wheat, cauliflower, garlic or dairy.
Of course, to be safe, it is always good to check with a pediatrician before introducing any food to our baby.
Choose organic produce whenever possible.
“Babies have smaller digestive systems and body masses, so they can handle fewer toxins, like pesticides, than small children or adults can,” Middleberg says.
If buying organic produce isn’t realistic for your family, try to avoid the most pesticide-laden foods.
And, finally, make sure the foods you’re making are age-appropriate.
Stick with thin, single-ingredient purees from low-acid fruits and sweet vegetables. Space new foods 4 days apart so you can spot and identify an allergy.
1. Sweet Potato Puree (> 6 months)
This would be the “easiest to accept” food for baby due to its mild sweetness. And do remember only to start with 1 type of vegetable at a time, to monitor if baby is allergic to any food.
1. Dice 120 grams of Sweet potato + 1 cup of water
2. Boil about 15 mins
3. Add in water if it’s too thick, or boil a while more if it’s too diluted
Note: Mash the sweet potato if they don’t break up after 15 mins
2. Sprouted Brown Rice Cereal (>6 months)
Why “sprouted” brown rice but not brown rice? As brown rice has a outer layer of “phytic acid”, which “protect” the rice from releasing nutrients. You can pre-soak the brown rice for 12 hours (change water every 4 hours) before cooking / blending to remove the phytic acid.
1. Soak for 12 hours (change water every 4 hours)
2. Blend the rice for 45 seconds or until fine
3. Bring ½ cup of water to boil, add in 2 table spoon of ground brown rice
4. Whisk occasionally for 5 minutes
5. Ready to serve
Or another easier option would be getting Love Earth’s Sprouted Brown Rice Cereal.
Just add in some hot water / milk into the Cereal, and mix well to eat feed.
3. Apple & Oat Porridge (> 6 months)
Oats are a very healthy grain and makes a great first food for your babies. And if your baby eats it you can give it! No worries, according to our past experiences, oats will not cause constipation to baby as long as you are feeding enough liquid.
1. Blend /mix the instant oats + apple with water / milk
2. Ok, basically ready to serve (too simple!)
4. Buckwheat Porridge
Being completely gluten free, buckwheat is ideal for babies suffering from gluten intolerance or celiac disease. Most people confuse buckwheat with ‘wheat’ due to its name. Buckwheat is not even from the family of grains. It is a seed, just like quinoa, accidentally pushed into the grain clan of food groups. This super food comes packed with essential vitamins and minerals that are required for the healthy growth of your baby.
1. Blend buckwheat into powder
2. Add in 1 cup of water and boil for 15 minutes
3. Add in fruit (like apple / pear) for additional flavor + nutrients
5. Baby Snacks (>6 months)
It is crucial for baby to “feel” and “touch” during their early stage, to activate their senses. We have always been looking for healthy snacks for baby, to make sure they get the best out of it. Well, we can bake some!
1. Blend 1 tablespoon coconut oil + 2 egg yolk + ½ cup apple sauce + ½ cup Baby Meal + 1 cup kale + 1 teaspoon baking powder – blend for 4 minutes
2. Scope them into tiny small dots
3. Bake at 175c for 10 minutes, reduce to 120c for 30 mins
4. Store in air tight container
Or for simpler option, you can always go for Love Earth Organic Baby Puffs. Made with Organic Sprouted Brown Rice + Natural Seasoning (pure vegetables / fruits powder).